Tips for a Great School Field Trip
* Watch a nature video prior to your visit to get the students thinking about animals and their natural habitats.
* Use one of the Zoo Scavenger Hunts on our website to stimulate your students' interest and help structure their visit.
* After your Zoo trip, craft an assignment around the student's favorite animal. It could be a poem, a short research paper, a story or an art project.
* Have your students study the native people that live in the same area as the student's favorite animal (i.e.: bison & native American, ocelot & Yanomamo).
* Check our website for exciting and free upcoming events.
* Book in advance by calling 203-394-6572. At least two weeks advance notice is required to qualify for our group rates.
* Plan to visit the Zoo in the Fall. The Zoo is far less crowded and the animals are more active. The months of May and June are our busiest, often leading to crowded conditions and long lines at the Zoo's most popular places.
* Inquire about our fun and fascinating education programs, both on-grounds and off-grounds (203-394-6563).
* Call our Education Department (203-394-6563) for more ideas to tie your Zoo trip in with your curriculum.
* Allow three or more hours for your visit with stops at our Peacock Café, Carousel and Zoo gift shops. Please review information on the Café and Gift Shop on our website for further teacher information.
* Visit in orderly, mid-sized groups (20 or fewer). With pre-registered groups you are allowed one adult chaperone with every five students. Chaperones should stay with their groups, encouraging them to read the signs and take time to view each enclosure. Animals can be secretive and enjoy a spot of shade, so take the time to see every animal you can. The kids will enjoy being the first in their group to spot all the animals. You'll see more of the Zoo and the kids will get more out of their visit.
* Be sure to download our Teacher Activity Books. They're full of great information, pre- and post visit activities, and great references.
Rainforest Reptiles Shows
July 2 - August 17
Chris Rowlands Live!
We are open...
9am to 4pm every day except Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year's Day
Directions and Info
Contact Info: Connecticut's Beardsley Zoo 1875 Noble Avenue Bridgeport, CT 06610
Main Number: (203) 394-6565